Find an acupuncturist...

Can acupuncture help with chronic nerve pain?

Q:  Would acupuncture help with a chronic nerve pain which I have in my shoulder which refers down to my forearm?

A:  A great deal depends on whether the pain is caused by impingement of a nerve, either in the shoulder itself or higher up in the neck, which can also produce similar sensations. If there is a structural problem, then while acupuncture treatment may help to reduce any inflammation which results from the trapped nerve, the problem will recur until the structure is fixed. While acupuncture treatment aims to restore natural function, and may eventually encourage the structure to right itself, the quickest way to deal with a problem such as this may be to visit an osteopath. They will be able to tell you whether there is a problem, and perhaps re-refer you to an acupuncturist after they have corrected it. We find this kind of cross-referral often works well; once the structure is settled it is important to get the muscles and tendons to re-assume their correct positions and tension. Acupuncture treatment seems to help well with this.

However, this is to take a very Western view of what is going on, and there are many occasions when the sensation which someone describes can be explained, understood and treated in Chinese medicine by using a different way of looking at the body. From a Chinese medicine perspective, which is premised on a good flow of energy (called 'qi') in the body, pain arises from deficiencies, excesses or blockages in the flow. The exact nature of the pain will inform the practitioner about the exact nature of the blockage. It is perfectly possible that working in this way the pain can be treated.

The best advice we can give, though, is to visit a BAcC member local to you for a brief face to face assessment of whether they can help with the problem. It is very difficult to tell at one remove what the best course of action is, and a visual inspection would help to determine whether or not an onward referral to an osteopath is more appropriate.

Post a question

If you have any questions about acupuncture, browse our archive or ask an expert.

Ask an expert

BAcC Factsheets

Research based factsheets have been prepared for over 60 conditions especially for this website

Browse the facts